Flims, Laax and Falera had been jointly marketed as Laax over recent years, although Flims was historically the better known ski resort. Located on a wide and normally sunny mountain terrace, Flims is made up of two centres, the larger being Flims Waldhaus which dates back to 745 AD. The lifts, however, are at Flims Dorf, and Europe's first chair lift was built here in 1945 (entirely out of wood, with steel being in short supply after World War II), linking the resort to Foppa. The resort's history as a tourist resort dates back a further 70 years before that first chair lift, when the local pastor had the idea to build an hotel, the Kurhaus Waldhaus, with 120 beds. Walks to a newly built restaurant at Lake Cauma were also constructed and the initiative was so successful that illustrious guests began to arrive, the hotel was enlarged and a casino added by the time the Dutch Queen Wilhelmine arrived in 1893. The tourist office opened in 1904 and winter sports were embraced straight after the war ended. The Naraus - Cassons cable car was completed in 1956. In 1978 this was extended up to the Vorab glacier, where a chair lift and two T Bar lifts are operational. In 1996 the Mountain Transportation Companies of Flims and Laax combined to form the White Arena Corporation.
Laax is the name that the tourist office of the villages of Flims, Laax and Falera prefer to be collectively known by. Flims itself, the largest of the three, is made up of two centres, the larger being Flims Waldhaus which dates back to 745AD. The Tourist Office promotes these two centres as well as Laax and Falera, neighbouring villages, as one place in terms of facilities. The lifts however are at Flims Dorf (as well as Laax and Falera) and Europe's first chair lift was built here in 1945, linking the resort to Foppa. There is a huge sunny ski area between them and Laax/Falera, called simply Laax, which is crowned by the Vorab glacier.